Friday, May 4, 2018

Birth Planning

In response to a request, I'm going to post my birth story.   Birth stories are very raw, emotional things.  I've been reading other mom's stories and have listened to most of my friends' experiences.

This is not a harrowing tale of an emergency c-section.  Nor is it an article praising the bravery of natural birth.  This is MY story.  No one else's.  


I had already experienced contractions prior to my due date.  So, during my last trimester I was dilated to 4 and spent the last month at 6.  By this point, we came to some decisions regarding the birth. You can't plan for everything, but its good to find out what you can plan for to make your first birth experience less intimidating.

As far as birth options and plans went I had done my research, met with mid-wives, looked at what my insurance covered and what I could afford.  I took into account the close relationship I had with my current OB.  She is AMAZING.  The type of doctor who is respectful of your choices and wants to hear your questions and concerns so she can help YOU.  No matter whether you choose a home birth or hospital- make sure you have a good relationship with you and your baby's caregiver.   They should be supportive, informative, and inquisitive.  You need to be comfortable asking them about everything and confident that they are doing more than just checking you off their list.

My Ob's office was always available to answer any questions or concerns I had throughout my pregnancy.  There were no stupid questions. I got to meet every doctor at the practice who may be on-call during my labor and delivery.  They all had real conversations with me leading up to the birth.

These conversations shaped my birth and delivery.

I highly recommend splurging for a 3D ultrasound. 
If you have a pregnant friend, consider giving one as a gift. 
From the start of my pregnancy, I knew I wanted as little intervention as possible.  I also knew that tearing was probably going to happen no matter what route I took. After  (probably too much) research and reading, I figured out that I needed to do what was best for me in the moment.  My doctors explained the difference pain-control methods, including natural. My goal was to try to do natural, but my doctors and family members assured me that using an epidural would do no harm, or make me any less a mother. 

Complications scared me.  I had read all the potential side effects and horror stories, but as mentioned before flexibility is your friend.  Seriously! Sometimes (read: most times) you need to listen to your body and go with the flow.  My biggest recommendation?  Do your research, by all means- scour the internet. BUT!

The most important research you could ever do is talking to family members.


Interrogate your mom. (if she is living and you guys are talking)  Talk with your aunts! Both sides if you have them. Last but not least,  if you have living grandparents, take the time to hear their birth accounts.  Ask the embarrassing and scary questions. When you're on the Labor and Delivery bed, in the birth tub, or where-ever, you are gonna wish you had. 


In the end, I told my team I wanted to try to go with natural, but would not rule out an epidural.  The other pain relievers I ruled out since they would enter my blood stream and make me drowsy.  I wanted to be as awake and alert as possible.

The rest of the "planning" was pretty simple.  I didn't have money for a birth photographer, or a doula, and my husband was better at playlists than I was.  The people allowed in the room during the birth was also easy- the moms were allowed, but other than that all I wanted was my husband next to me.  I opted for delayed cord clamping.  I wanted my baby to have all the nutrients they could!  Most importantly, the hospital we were going to practiced the Golden Hour.   An hour of skin to skin bonding for new parents and baby.  Hence, why I wasn't going to let any pain killers that would conk me out or make me fuzzy headed.

Raspberry Leaf Tea 
This is the first part of my birth story. I planned for a natural birth.  Did the pelvic floor exercises.  Drank the Raspberry Leaf tea.  Was already dilated to 6, and the week of my due date stayed home from work.   I cleaned, walked, re-packed my hospital bag and propped up my enormously swollen feet.  In addition to cleaning, I meal prepped- froze enough meals to last a month!  Everything was ready. At least I thought we were!



















No comments:

Post a Comment