Friday, March 23, 2018

Intuition..that stuff is real

I love being busy.  I feel stretched, exhausted, and accomplished.  Bragging rights are also kinda cool.  "I did THIS..." But as many people will tell you these days, having too much on your plate is not always good.  Especially if you are choosing to do so, and not out of necessity. 

Props to all you women who work full-time with multiple kids and more on the way, going through school at the same time!  I have NO CLUE how you do it.  May you continue to be blessed with the endurance, strength, and patience to conquer each new day! I know from personal experience that just having a full time job, school, and growing a human inside me is wearing enough as it is. 

Speaking of that!


View from my Iphone at Chimney Rock
The Autumn of 2016 was amazing.  We found out we were expecting in October and waited as long as we could to share the news with friends and family.  There were 3 friends I shared my suspicions with before I had it confirmed by a test. This is how it went...


I went on a roadtrip to visit my 2 besties from who lived about 3 hours away.  Before I left I  had started to just feel "different."  Couldn't really put my finger on it.  Not a "fluttering" or any pain.  I hadn't even hit the point where I was ravenous.  Nothing was off.  Its like your mindset is in the process of changing.  Your reactions to mundane things shift. Intuitively I thought something might be changing or about to change, but I didn't want to get my hopes up until I could know for sure in a few weeks.

SO.  I went down and met my BFF of 8 years (now a full decade! woot woot!) for Thai and a movie.  We sat down with our food and within 5 min I blurted out, "I think I'm pregnant!"  I was that excited!  She gave me a "Say Whaaaaaa????" look of excitement and we both laughed nervously as she started asking questions and then we moved on to other topics.  I mean, at that point, it still could have been nothing. Way too early to tell. In the movie theater I proceeded to bawl at pretty much every trailer (especially ones with puppies) and during the movie. (Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children)  During the trailers, my friend just turns to me and says, "YUP. You're definitely pregnant!"  This girl, man she knows me.   Neither of us are the crying type.  We just don't do that- especially during cheesy trailers with talking dogs.  And she was right.  Pregnancy hormones- they getcha!

Now I'm the type of person that researches a subject till google wants exile me from the web and friends get tired of my questions.  I like a mixture of scholarly articles and real life experiences.  Everything is cross referenced and the references get background checks. (hello, I NEED credentials!)   So, of course, I scheduled a coffee date with a mid wife referred to me by a good friend, just to ask questions. NOTE: I hadn't told the husband or taken a pregnancy test yet.  

On the way to meet with the Midwife and her assistant (certified doula), I started praying.  "God, I know that YOU are in control, no matter what happens! I know that YOU have the best plan for my life."  All the while I'm thinking, its a boy, pretty sure I'll have a boy- I have the perfect name for a boy! Then comes, "Well Ali, what if I gave you a girl?  What would you do?  Freak out because you have no plans or ideas for a girl? Are you scared to have a daughter?" In all honesty, yes.  The years leading up to this moment of prayer and reflection had been full of I couldn't do that!  BUT.  In that moment I realized that no matter what- I loved this baby and was so excited to meet them!  Suddenly my arms ACHED to hold my child and all I could think was Gosh- I have to wait 9 months.  Intuitively, I knew we were going to have a girl, but I didn't trust myself enough to believe it.  (and only a thorough ultra-sound at 22 weeks is really going to give you a positive answer) 

So, I met with the midwife and asked many questions about pregnancy, labor/delivery, complications, and places to give birth.  I got prices and the cost of what an at home delivery would be, along with care before and after.  Having more information settled me, and I felt better equipped to make decisions as the process unfolded.  Later that week, I finally purchased a pee stick and, sure 'nough, there were 2 strong lines. **squeal** And yes- I did a little happy dance!

First things first- the next day I call to schedule a visit to my OB to make sure everything was on track and this was no fluke.  Cue the beginning of odd food cravings, ravenous hunger, weird gas, and pain. Yup, the whole gamut.  Before I even had my first appointment to "officially" confirm the pregnancy or even show him the positive test- Sam asked what was up when I started eating bananas.   Those are NOT my go-to food.  EVER.  They have a weird texture I don't care for.  But the next couple weeks I craved them, eating about 2 a day. 


From our wedding day, hands down my favorite shot!
  Photographer: Themis Vourous
By the time my appointment rolled around, I was trying to come up with a cute/original way of telling Sam he was about to be a dad.  Something like that needed to be memorable- right?  Heh.  Guess pregnancy brain kicked into gear early for me (yes, that is  a real phenomenon.  Not a lame excuse.)   I left the paperwork from the doctor's office on the passenger seat when I went to go pick him up at work.  It was in one those little bags they give you, but STILL.  My husband is smarter than your average bear.  He's actually pretty intuitive for a guy!  Already suspicious due to the banana consumption he jokingly says, "You're pregnant aren't you?"  DING DING DING!  WE HAVE A WINNAH!!!  

Not realizing I had forgotten the paperwork on the seat of the car, I looked at him dumbfounded and said- HOW DID YOU KNOW?  Again- not my brightest moment....

He proceed to be the MOST EXCITED I HAVE EVER SEEN.  Picked me up in a HUGE bear hug and spun me around the parking lot chanting, "We're having a baby!  I'm a dad! I'm a dad!" You guys.  I was more happy to be married to him in those moments than I had been on my wedding day.  

There are highlight moments in your life.  HUGE moments. Un-documented, un-filtered, not contrived bursts of pure delight.  This.  This was one of these moments.  






This was the beginning of a fresh NEVER BEEN THERE Sali Adventure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment