Friday, June 1, 2018

5 Things You Will Regret Leaving Behind

Hey there! 

So I took a break from writing about the second half of my hospital stay to focus on some real life issues I've been struggling with.  But we're back to the story today, after a Memorial Day weekend hiatus form writing. 


Some dear friends have come across those helpful lists that are posted, detailing everything you could possibly need for your labor and recovery.
And they were a tad overwhelmed. Rightly so.  


A lot of the stuff you pack for labor and delivery (if you are going to the hospital) is the same stuff you pack for any overnight trip!  Don't stress about it.  Don't over think.  Above all, refrain from over-packing.  Your husband is awesome, I'm sure. But you guys really don't want to be hauling 5 different bags around the hospital.  Yes, FIVE.  Because you at 35 weeks are a hormonal MESS and nesting like a fiend.  There will be YOUR bag, the baby's, the hubby's, and then everything you thought of or read of and couldn't fit into one of the 3 already packed.

Think of going to the hospital or birthing center as going to grandma's.  


They have most of what you need and are going to take the best care of you they can.  Don't worry.  If you forget something - they'll have it.  If not, chances are there is enough family around to go grab it for you.  (I still have the fluffy slipper socks my mom brought me during my stay!)


I'll be frank.  My lists may not work for you.   You may find that you have different needs.  For example, I didn't elect to have a c-section or schedule an induction.  I'm also a minimalist.  For most of our marriage we have always had our backpacks ready to grab for a spontaneous overnight trip or hike.  That usually means a light backpack with basic toiletries, clean undies, and a protein bar.

My lists are going to highlight useful items.  They are not comprehensive packing lists.  There are definitely things I bought that I have never used.  I used a lot of the hospital's stuff because it was convenient and already on hand.  You may find, like I did, that its easier than getting up to rummage through your bag.

Stay tuned- 
Top 5 items for Recovery and a Top 5 items I never used coming soon!


Till then, please enjoy the following input from a mama friend who went through 2 c-sections. 

Please let me know in the comments what you remember missing most or helping the best!

1 comment:

  1. Your content is amazing and well thought out! I especially love the sentence: Think of going to the hospital or birthing center as going to grandma's. That makes me feel so much less nervous. - Elizabeth Auwarter (elizabethauwarter.com)

    ReplyDelete