Friday, June 8, 2018

5 Items You'll Want Post-Delivery (and other tips)

Now I know I'm going to be leaving out a lot of items that other sites and people list for the hospital bag.   The purpose of these Top 5 posts are to highlight helpful/necessary items to assist those easily overwhelmed and who may tend to over-pack. 
As someone who struggles with anxiety (social and otherwise), I find it helpful to narrow down and simplify.   Its ok to make-do and be comfortable with less.  I may not be the most fashion forward minimalist, but I tend to cut out stuff if forgetting something is triggering anxiety that causes me to shut down.  I would rather be present mentally and emotionally for those around me, than worry about THINGS.

You may operate completely differently.  I think some people thrive on creature comforts and having them in a foreign situation is a necessity.  My comfort is my husband.  As long as I have him near me, I can think more clearly and feel more stable emotionally. 

My room in Labor/Delivery wasn't luxe.  It wasn't a birthing center.  It was comfortable enough. And I honestly didn't ever open my bag there.  Everything I used from home I used in the Recovery Room and it was interesting toting everything from one room to another.  The bed they wheeled me out on had stuffed piled high at the foot. Next time- I think I'll condense it a bit more...


If told to pick only five items, to pack it would be these. 

Robe: 

Because it gets chilly and it helps with modesty when you have a ton of family and friends popping by to see the baby.  Mine was a light, jersey knit which I proceeded to live in for 3 months.

Nursing Tank:

It takes a lot of stress out your life.  I didn't wear this till after my first shower because I didn't have a problem wearing the hospital night gowns provided.  I never wear night gowns at home so I didn't want to spend money on something just to be "cute" for a little while.

Maternity pants/leggings:

 I took some loose harem pants with me that I had been wearing the last month I was pregnant.   Again, I didn't wear them till I left, but they were SO COMFY.  Take whatever pants you are currently in a love affair with.

Nipple Cream: 

You are gonna love this the first day/night.  And you will worship it the first month.  Dry, chapped, bleeding nipples are a fact of life with a new born and this stuff is a miracle worker.  Life hack: COCONUT OIL.   I used my lanolin based stuff in the hospital, but ended up using coconut oil once I got home and forgot all about the other stuff.  A little goes a long way!

New Born Outfit with Mittens: 

You will need something for your kid to wear even though they are swaddled and given a hat.  We brought 2 in case one didn't fit.  One in new born size and one 0-3 months, both pre-washed.  Make sure you have mittens and socks packed with this outfit.  Newborns have some wicked sharp fingernails!

There are of course more items that could be added to this list.  Toiletries, towel, socks, camera, ect.
But everyone has different styles/needs and I'll leave your personal toiletries up to you! (For example: not everyone is blind as me and needs extra contacts and solution!)

 I would make 2 addendums to the list. 

Bra pads and shower shoes. 


Neither will be provided by the hospital and you will need BOTH. 


A lot of packing lists out there will tell you to pack stuff for "down there" post-partum care.  I never used the stuff I bought online according to various recommendations.  In the end, all I needed was what my nurse gave me and showed me how to use.  With some light tearing and a few stitches, they provided all the care I needed and sent me home with the following items.  During my maternity leave,  I never bought/used anything extra than some comfy undies and disposable night pads with wings.


I realize that some of these items are completely foreign to most people, so I'm including some pictures below for visual reference. 
Peri Bottle. 
Washing down there was never so easy!
This spray was introduced by my aftercare nurse and helped a lot. 


Sitz Bath:  I added ice to mine, and did it daily for 2 weeks. 
The bubbly coolness was heaven. 


The nurses also kept me supplied with basic pain killers like Tylenol and gave me stool softeners.  Go ahead and make sure you have those handy at home if you don't already.

I hope these past few posts have been informative and helpful!  Let me know what your experiences were!  I'd really like to hear from you guys who had c-sections or had a natural birth.   Each birth experience is unique and I love hearing your stories. 

1 comment:

  1. Very informative! I certainly wouldn't have thought of nipple cream!

    ReplyDelete